Having bought a paella pan off of Joannes mum for 3 euro at a car boot sale recently I have been meaning to make paella. I decided however to come up with my own style of paella rather than follow a recipe. Rather than use fish (simply cause it was late on a Saturday afternoon) I decided to use meat.
1 Chorizo Sausage, chopped in to 1cm chunks
1 Medium sized onion finely chopped
6 Cloves of Garlic crushed
1 Red pepper, de-seeded and sliced in to strips
1 Yellow pepper, de-seeded and sliced in to strips
1 Green pepper, de-seeded and sliced in to strips
10 Slices of back bacon, cut in to strips
8 Large cumberland sausages, sliced in to 2 cm chunks
5 Chicken breasts, sliced in 1cm wide strips
300g of Arborio or Canaroli Rice
800 ml of Chicken stock(infused with pinch of saffron)
400g Chopped Tomatoes
Salt n Pepper to taste
1) Chop chorizo and gently fry to release the oils.
2) Remove the chorizo, fry the onion and garlic in the chorizo oil.
3) Remove onion/garlic once lightly fried and the onion has become translucent.
4) Fry off the peppers for approx 1 minute, remove and set aside.
5) Now fry off sausage and bacon in a little olive oil until lightly browned, remove and set aside.
6) Fry the chicken for about 2 mins either side until browned.
7) Now add the chorizo, garlic, onion, peppers, sausage, and bacon back in to the paella pan with the chicken.
8) Add chopped tomatoes to the pan.
9) Add the rice and stir thoroughly.
10) Add the infused stock and bring to the boil.
11) Once brought to the boil, lower the heat and simmer for 15-20 mins until the rice has absorbed the stock, and the rice has a slight bite. Make sure to stir regularly to ensure an even cooking of the meat and rice.Adjust with salt and pepper to taste.
12) When cooked sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Thanks for reading