Until I met my other half Joanne I had never had Corned Beef unless you count that gonk that people put in their sandwiches ** shudder **. I have the most gorgeous corned beef in Gallaghers which I have reviewed before its so good. Tonight however I wanted to make it for myself, its possibly the easiest thing you could possibly wish to make.
Ingredients: ( Serves 4 )
1.5Kg of Silverside Beef
1 Large Onion ( quartered )
1 Vegetable stock cube
1.5Kg of Potatoes ( pick a good mashing variety like Maris Piper or Roosters)
Head of Savoy Cabbage
Knob of Butter
100ml of Milk
1) Put a large saucepan filled with water, with the stock cube added, bring to the boil.
2) Add your joint of beef and onion
3) Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer for about 2.5-3 hours. Skim the fat away from the stock and remove any impurities
4) Remove from the pan and rest while you cook your potatoes and cabbage.
5) Boil your potatoes till tender generally 20-25 mins.
6) When I drained the meat from the stock, I reserved the cooking water or liqour and cooked the cabbage in this. I shredded the cabbage finely before adding. Cook for the last 10 mins before potatoes are ready.
7) Drain the water from potatoes and return to the heat for 1 min to chuff them up and make them floury.
8) Remove your cabbage from the heat and drain.
9) Mash the potatoes with a masher, and what I do to make them even more smooth is beat them with a whisk adding the milk and butter.
10) Assemble the dish :) and serve with parsley or pepper sauce.