My Bramley Sponge Pudding
This weekend in an effort to create something of my own and not follow a recipe this is what I came up with ( because I had all the ingredients to hand in my parents house ). Being honest it produced a really fluffy and moist sponge, its certainly something I will be making again. The only thing it was missing was some cream or custard. However I added some vanilla extract which gave the sponge a custardy flavor that works incredibly well with the apples. Anyway I hope you make this , it was really nice even if I say so myself.
1/2 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
4 Bramley cooking apples
Juice of 2 lemons
1) Preheat your oven to 180c/160c Fan/Gas 4.
2) Grease and flour a 30cm x 10 cm dish.
3) Beat the sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
4) Slowly beat in one egg at time mixing well, adding the vanilla extract once all eggs are added.
5) Sieve the flour into the batter whilst beating.
6) Quarter the apples and slice thinly length ways. As you are slicing the apples , place in a bowl of lemon juice to prevent them turning brown.
7) Neatly arrange 1 layer of apples along the bottom of the dish.
8) Now add the batter making sure its evenly distributed over the apples.
9) Arrange the remaining apples on top of the batter.
10) Bake for 55mins, however keep an eye on the apples on top of the sponge around the 30 minute mark, if they going brown cover the sponge lightly with some greaseproof paper to prevent them burning.
11) Remove from the oven, allowing to cool before serving.
12) Serve with custard or cream.