225g wholemeal flour
225g plain flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1) Preheat oven to 220c/200c for fan oven, (425f), gas mark 7.
2) Sieve flours together, salt and soda in a bowl. Rub in your butter till it resembles breadcrumbs, make a well in the centre.
3) In another bowl whisk your egg and buttermilk, add to the flour mix. Loosely bring together with your hand , do not over work as it should be soft but not sticky.
4) Turn on to floured board and bring together into a round, cutting a cross in the top dusting with flour.
5) Place on to a floured baking tray baking for 15 minutes, then turning your heat down by 20c to 200c/180c for fan oven, (400f), gas mark 6. Cook for a further 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before slathering butter.
Please enjoy and thanks for reading,