Granola Chunks - Weight Watching Wednesday
With all baking there is the joy of gobbling down all the sugary goodness but invariably there is a price to pay and The Cook's Belly is getting a little too big for my liking so I need to a lose a pound or two over the next few months. I am certainly not giving up the baking or cooking, and my cakes n bakes will be shipped out to all friends and family if you want them but for me I am currently on the ol' Weight Watchers for my sins so each Wednesday I hope to deliver to you a healthy dish, cake or snack that you can enjoy without feeling guilty. Today I bring to you a creation of mine that I put together last night, its mega healthy and gives you that energy hit you need especially in the morning time. I am even going to post up the calories and the Weight Watchers points for you.
(makes about 28 chunks)
Calories per chunk : 140
Weight Watchers Pro Points : 4
Now you might think that's alot calories but this is chock full of good calories, your body will work harder breaking these down which in turn gives you more energy. You can also substitute any of the seeds below or throw in a few others, its pretty versatile.
250g of oats
110g of desiccated coconut
3 large ripe bananas
1 cup of currants/raisins/sultanas/craisins
1tbsp of flax seed
85g of pumpkin seeds
40g of sunflower seeds
250g of peanut butter
170g of honey
1 tbsp of poppy seeds
1 tbsp of sesame seeds
1) Preheat oven to 180c/160cFan/350F/Gas Mark 4.
2) Mix the oats, coconut, flax seed, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, poppy seeds and sesame seeds together. Spread out on a tray and toast for 5 mins in the oven. After 5 mins shake the tray and toast for a further 5 mins.
3) Mix the banana, peanut butter, honey together to a smooth-ish paste.
4) Add the toasted mixture to the peanut butter/honey/banana aswell the currants.
5) Line a roasting tin with greaseproof paper ( I used 40cm x 20cm x 2cm deep tin).
6) Press the mixture in to the tin packing down as best as possible.
7) Bake in the oven for 25 mins until golden brown.
8) Remove and cool for about 30 mins.
9) Finally cut in to 28 chunks.
I had one after my breakfast today, cutting down my usual 100g of porridge down to 50g. I have so much energy this morning its great.
I will be back next Wednesday with another weight watching recipe.
Thanks for reading