Lemon Friands - Great Irish Bake Off - Week 1 - A little more cake please
Well hello :),
I hope you enjoyed the first episode of the Great Irish Bake Off, and best of all I survived another week. Holy moly was I nervous as heck in that episode. Being thrown in to a tent with 11 fantastic bakers certainly rattles your nerves thats for sure. In regard to my bakes Paul and Biddy were bang on the money with their comments this week. My cupcakes upon reflection were a slight bit dry and certainly needed more soakage from my flambeed blackberries, this really let me down. Next up the Genoese Sponge for the technical was damn difficult, difficult because I hadn't an iota as to how to decorate the cake. My nerves were all over the shop and I decided to go with my gut. Overall it wasn't so bad but it was no where even near what Biddy or for that matter Paul wanted. I am just so glad I managed to stay in the game for another week, however I was very disappointed to see Laura leave.
When I arrived the previous night for our contestant meet up before filming started, Laura scared me. Ok I am a grown man why would I be scared? but damn it here is a 17 year old girl that knows a encyclopedia full of baking knowledge, she was and is an absolutely excellent baker. Unfortunately so much went against her on the day, it made for extremely hard viewing as I was directly behind her in the tent. Going out in week 1 is horrible.
Laura is still baking and has a lovely blog over at http://bakeygoddess.tumblr.com/post/59293253859/ice-cream-bread, also say hello to her on twitter https://twitter.com/laurabakescake.
Back to the video above, each week I am going to give you the Great Irish Bake Off - Week 1 - A little more cake please. Its me doing a little video, and giving simple, effective but yummy recipes. This week is Lemon Friands, I hope you enjoy it and I hope you enjoyed tonight. Any questions on the recipe or the show if I can answer them comment at the bottom.
This recipe is mega simple so you have to try it:
I first saw here and have used it ever since http://www.anncoojournal.com.
60g plain flour
95g icing sugar
1 tbsp lemon zest
150g ground almond
200g butter, melted and cooled
5 Egg whites, (190-200g), lightly beaten with a fork
extra icing sugar, to dust
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees. Grease a 12 hole non-stick friand pan with butter or cooking spray.
- Sift the flour and icing sugar into a large bowl then add the lemon zest and almond meal. Stir to combine evenly and make a well in the centre.
- Add the egg whites and butter to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined with a hand whisk, do not overbeat. Then fold in the blueberries with a rubber spatula.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 25 minutes until well risen and golden or insert a skewer into the cake comes out clean.
- Leave the friands in the pans for 5 minutes then carefully lift out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Serve friands dusted with icing sugar or snow powder.
Thanks for reading and watching, tune in next week to see if I get through to week 3.