This evening I had a nice bacon loin in the fridge ready and waiting to be boiled. Its become our go to Sunday dinner lately, nothing better than bacon, cabbage and mash. However this evening I decided to push the boat out a little bit roasting the bacon loin with some apples and onions serving with broccoli mash, it all turned out flipping delish! Here is the recipe below :
1kg Bacon Loin
Salt & Pepper
2 small onions(halved and finely sliced)
4 small cox pippin apples
4 tsp Balsamic vinegar
8/9 florets of broccoli
2 large rooster potatoes
2 tsp of butter
2 tsp Flour
200ml of cider
1) Preheat oven to 200c (180c fan) / gas mark 4.
2) Season the bacon with salt, pepper and mixed herbs.
3) Heat a ovenproof fry pan with 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
4) Sear the bacon loin on all sides, remove and set aside.
5) Gently fry the onions and apples for 2 minutes on medium heat.
6) Add the bacon loin back to the frying pan and transfer to the oven for 30mins.
7) After 30 mins drizzle 4 teaspoons of balsamic vinegar over the meat, shake the pan and turn the meat over. Place back in the oven for 30 mins.
8) Boil broccoli and potatoes till cooked. Once cooked mash together, with butter and season.
8) Once cooked allow to rest for at least 15 mins, remove the onions and apples too, set aside.
9) In the frying pan you used to cook the bacon loin return to a low heat with 2 teaspoons of flour and cider. Cook for 5 mins until flour is cooked out, taste and season.
10) Slice the meat and serve with the broccoli mash.