Yesterday I brought you my mincemeat braid and today I give you what I made out of the left overs. Its a gorgeous bread knot. I am going to give you measurements to make three loaves. Yet again fresh yeast makes this awesome bread what it is.
Ingredients: (makes 3 loaves)
500g of strong flour
25g of fresh yeast
320ml of warm milk
1 egg beaten
75g of butter melted
1tsp of sugar
1/2tsp of salt
1 egg yolk for glaze
Fresh milled black pepper
- Heat the milk in a microwave for 1 minute or till lukewarm in pan.
- Line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Sieve the flour with into a bowl and place pinch of salt in the opposite side of the bowl. Crumble in the yeast but keep away from the salt.
- Make a well in the flour and add the milk, give a quick stir then add your whisked egg.
- Combine the ingredients and finally add butter.
- Bring together to form a dough ball, it will be quiet sticky, this is how it should be.
- Place on very lightly floured counter top, literally a sprinkle.
- Knead the dough for roughly 6 minutes.
- Place the dough back in a large bowl, and cover with a damp cloth. Proof for 45 minutes.
- Remove from bowl and knock back.
- Divide in to 3 and roll each in to a sausage shape.
- For each loaf you can tie into a knot and further shape.
- Proof for 40 mins more.
- Brush with egg yolk to glaze, grind pepper and salt all over. Bake for 18 mins or till golden brown at 240c/220c fan/475F/gas mark 9.
- Another loaf is done, enjoy this fabulous fresh yeast loaf.
Thanks for reading