Good day everyone I apologise before I begin, I know we are nearly a month and a bit away from Christmas but I couldn't resist. I got the best book ever on Saturday in O'Mahoney's bookstore down in Limerick city called the "Meringue Girls Cookbook". I love meringue its one of my favourite things to work with in the kitchen and you all know how much I love macarons. So with the girls book to hand I followed their perfect instructions and dug out some spring green colouring from Wilton, produced those babies above. I am chuffed with how they look and turned out :), I know I am going to be making so many more of these beauties in the near future. I hope you enjoy this everyone, so so so simple to make too.
150g egg whites
300g caster sugar
Green food colouring
Few drops of peppermint extract
- Pre-heat to 200c/180c fan/375F/gas mark 6.
- Line a roasting tray with greaseproof and fill with the caster sugar. Bake for 5 mins, baking allows for the hot caster sugar to dissolve faster in meringue later on.
- In a metallic bowl free from grease whisk your egg whites until stiff peaks form, starting off slowly and building up to a faster speed. Careful not to overbeat, once you have stiff peaks and can hold the meringue over your head its ready.
- Remove the caster sugar from the oven, reduce oven to 100c and leave the door ajar to allow cooling to happen faster.
- Slowly whisk the hot caster sugar in to the egg whites a tablespoon at a time, add a few drops of peppermint extract and whisk for 5-7 minutes.
- After 7 minutes with your finger stick it in to the meringue to see if any sugar grains remain, if so keep whisking.
- With a piping bag paint the inside with food coloring and then add your meringue.
- Pipe the meringue on to a pre prepared baking tray.
- Bake at 100c/90c fan/212f/gas mark 1/4 for 35 mins. Remove from the oven and allow rest for 5 mins.
- Remove from the baking parchment on to a cooling rack.
Enjoy these gorgeous little treats
Thanks for reading,