Rye & Raisin Cookies - Courtesy of Dan Lepard
These cookies are my new favourite and they come courtesy of Mr Dan Lepard the judge of the Great Australian Bake Off and resident food writer for the Guardian. Dan's food and baking recipes are my favourite to read and I especially love his book "Short & Sweet", its one of the best books I have got this year. Also if you have not seen the Great Australian Bake Off then you need to check it out on Youtube, its my personal favourite of all the bake off incarnations. I know you are gonna love these cookies, they are truly scrumptious.
*Picture courtesy of Foodie Bugle
Ingredients Makes about 15.
- Heat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk the butter, sugars, cocoa and vanilla with the egg white until smooth and fluffy, then switch to a wooden spoon and beat in the flour and bicarbonate of soda until thoroughly mixed in.
- Stir in the raisins, then roll the mixture into lumps slightly smaller than a golf ball, weighing around 50g each.
- Sit the cookie balls about 8cm-10cm apart on a lightly buttered baking sheet - you may have to do this in batches - and bake for 12-15 minutes, until the raisins puff and pop through the sugary crust of each cookie.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool on the tray for around five minutes, then gently twist off each cookie and place on a cooling rack while you bake the remaining batch.