Good morning Blogging pals,
Today marks a new day in my blog, as I present to you our first video. I say "our" as in me and my brother Steve. Steve you see cannot bake and will openly admit cannot cook (apart from Spag Bol, Satay, and Banana Bread). This is a new series of videos that will be appearing on the blog and YouTube of me teaching Steve how to bake. I have to say personally filming the video was hilarious, what you see in it is what you get and is as candid as it could possibly be. It is filmed by now wife Joanne and we use a small Canon Ixus, Joanne does a great job but don't expect Donal Skehan-esque quality. This is all about having fun, learning how to bake and me getting to have the craic with my bro. I do hope you enjoy, and make sure to let us know what you liked, didn't like, how we can make it better and or recipes you would like to see us make.
Please enjoy are caper of baking, and make sure you stay to the very end of the video.
Thanks for watching and reading, and for the first time thanks from
Will & Steve
500g of strong flour
14g dried yeast
320ml of warm milk
1 egg beaten
75g of butter melted
Pinch of salt
1 egg yolk for glaze
Fresh milled black pepper
- Pre heat oven to 180c/160c fan/350F/gas mark 4.
- Heat the milk in a microwave for 1 minute or till lukewarm in pan.
- Line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Sieve the flour into a bowl and place pinch of salt in the opposite side of the bowl. Add in the
- yeast but keep away from the salt.
- Make a well in the flour and add the milk, give a quick stir then add your whisked egg.
- Combine the ingredients and finally add butter.
- Bring together to form a dough ball, it will be quiet sticky; this is how it should be.
- Place on very lightly floured counter top, literally a sprinkle.
- Knead the dough for 8 minutes.
- Place the dough back in a large bowl, and cover with a damp cloth. Proof for 45 minutes.
- Remove from bowl and knock back.
- Shape in to a plait roll. To do this divide the dough up in to 6 same weighing balls. Then roll in to long strands approx 30cm in length. Place side by side tapering at the top. All you need to do then is like the video work always from the right side 2 over 1 under 2 over, until completely plaited. Proof for 30 minutes until doubled in size.
- Brush with egg yolk to glaze. Bake for 30-35 mins or till golden brown at 180c/160c fan/350F/gas mark 4.
Steve even went and made the bread again last night on his own, he nailed it!