At the moment we are both trying to eat as healthy as possible and this chicken teriyaki with stir fried vegetables went down a treat. This meals serves 2 people, and each portion comes in at 520 calories. I am only aware of the calories because I am watching my calorie intake at the moment. My biggest problem is not eating enough vegetables but when you marry them with teriyaki I will eat them all night long.
- 85ml of light soy sauce
- 40ml of dark soy sauce
- 50g of honey
- Sprinkle of chilli flakes
- 2 teaspoons of Shaoxing wine
- 2 chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 head of savoy cabbage
- 1 handful of mangetout
- 1 handful of tender stem broccoli
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 small piece of ginger
- 120g jasmine rice
- 240ml of water
How you make it:
- Pre heat the oven to 200c/180c fan.
- Place all the teriyaki sauce ingredients in a saucepan.
- Bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes until slightly reduced, set aside.
- Trim the two chicken breasts, season with salt n pepper.
- Add the chicken to a hot pan with a little oil and fry presentation side down for 3 minutes on a high heat.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and place on a baking tray brush with the teriyaki sauce. Roast the chicken for 10 minutes, remove and brush again with teriyaki sauce. Cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Whilst the chicken is roasting prepare the vegetables. Finely slice the onions and cabbage.
- Grate the garlic and ginger on a fine grater.
- Boil the rice for 11 mins, when done turn off the heat and leave the lid on.
- Gently fry the onion in a little oil on a medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger, fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the rest of the vegetables, the remaining teriyaki sauce, 2 tablespoons of water. Cover and cook for 6 mins.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and allow rest for 2 mins.
- Plate the teriyaki vegetables and top with sliced chicken. Serve the rice boiled to one side.
I hope you make this and enjoy it, but bear in mind it is my take on teriyaki and I am not Japanese.
This week's blog musical delectation is from The XX, I am liking their new album "I See You".
Spotify users go here -> https://play.spotify.com/album/2PXy9USZAoTSdtrxfkPBnl